The Church of the Living God was founded in 1903 by Mother Mary Magdalena Lewis Tate. The ministry given her was one of Holiness, with emphasis on repentance, sanctification, baptism in the Holy Spirit which would result in clean living with one working toward perfection. Mother Tate was a bold preacher who took her message in and through the states of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Illinois with the message that touched people of all races and ethnic backgrounds.


In 1908, Mother Tate formally organized and incorporated the “House of God, which is the Church of the Living God, Pillar and Ground of the Truth” in Greenville, Alabama. The first General Assembly was held June 25-July 5 of the same year. Some walked as many as thirty miles to get there! At this Assembly, Mother Tate was made the Overseer and Chief Leader of the Church, preachers were ordained, and pastors appointed.


The Church of the Living God continued to grow and spread throughout many states, eventually reaching as far north as Ohio. On October 29, 1923, The House of God, which is the Church of the Living God, the Pillar and Ground of Truth Without Controversy, was incorporated in Columbus, Ohio under Bishop George F. Giles, Pastor and State Bishop. He retained these positions until his death on April 1, 1958. Following his death, the assistant pastor, Elder H. I. Bosart was appointed Pastor.


In 1962, under the direction of then Assistant Pastor, Rev. Beulah M. White, the church obtained a “white” house at 593 Fairwood Avenue, the corner of Fairwood Avenue and Fulton Streets. On January 26, 1966, the church mortgage was paid off, making it the first building purchased and owned by our organization in Columbus, Ohio. All previous buildings had been rented. That same year, Elder Bosart turned the responsibility of pastor over to Elder Beulah M. White. Her son Rev. Joseph White was appointed Assistant Pastor. A few years later, Elder Beulah M. White slept away to be with the Lord. Elder Joseph White was appointed the Pastor during the State Assembly in 1969.